The following statements support the brand attributes associated with lifelong family, including:
- Loyal, allegiant, steadfast, devoted, allegiant, truehearted, orange & blue, spirited
- Socially responsible, accountable, conscientious, sensible
- Encouraging, supportive, hopeful, promising, spiriting, dependable, solid
A prime indicator of the university’s excellence is the success of its alumni: 11 alumni are Nobel laureates, 158 Guggenheim Fellows and another 17 have won Pulitzer Prizes.
- Also integral to the university’s mission is a commitment to public engagement. Each year about 2.7 million Illinois residents participate in scores of conferences, institutes, credit and noncredit courses, and workshops presented on campus and statewide.
- The University of Illinois Extension provides 4-H, nutrition intervention, and other programs in rural and urban settings. Research and class projects take students and professors outside their classrooms and laboratories to share expertise and technical support with Illinois farmers, manufacturing firms, and businesses. In a typical year, students log more than 78,000 volunteer hours in blood drives, day care centers, prisons, senior citizen centers, and tutoring programs through the Office of Volunteer Programs.
- The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) opens it doors to "curious minds over age 50" to attend intellectually stimulating courses, small group discussion and lunch time lectures.