The New Midwest
- Practical, constructive, pragmatic, solid, utilitarian, realistic, empirical, rational, sensible
Focused, centered, engaged, purposeful, thoughtful, serious, critical, passionate, foundational
- Hard-working, energetic, effective, progressive, assiduous, dynamic, energetic, industrious, persevering, enterprising, fastidious, determined, diligent, tireless, untiring, studious, earnest, enthusiastic, resolute, steady, eager, enthusiastic, impassioned, ardent, devoted, serious, thoughtful
- Surprising, remarkable, extraordinary, bold, daring, undaunted, intrepid, courageous, confident
- Authentic, genuine, trusty, reliable, honest, ethical, sincere, forthright, scrupulous, straightforward, undisguised, honorable, grounded
- Modest, prudent, unpretentious, reasonable
Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Research
- Scholars, both faculty and students, find the university an ideal place to conduct inter- and multidisciplinary research. The most visible example of the university’s commitment to such study is the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, where 12 research groups from 30 university departments work within and across three broadly defined themes: biological intelligence, human-computer interaction, and molecular and electronic nanostructures.
- The Institute for Genomic Biology houses up to 400 researchers in three broad Program Areas: Systems Biology, Cellular and Metabolic Engineering, and Genome Technology. The Energy Biosciences Institute, formed in 2007 is unique in both its scale and its partnership between BP, academia and others in the private sector.
- A major center for the arts, the campus attracts dozens of nationally and internationally renowned artists each year to its widely acclaimed Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. Designed by alumnus Max Abramovitz, an architect of New York City’s Lincoln Center, the facility has four indoor theaters and an outdoor amphitheater. Together, they host more than 350 performances each year.
- The university also supports two major museums: the Krannert Art Museum and Kinkead Pavilion, second only to the Art Institute of Chicago among Illinois public art museums housing over 9,000 works of art in its permanent collection; and the Spurlock Museum, a museum of world history and culture, which holds in its collections approximately 46,000 artifacts from diverse cultures and varied historical time periods.
- Number of PhDs awarded-among the top 5 universities in number of doctorates awarded annually in the United States
- Study abroad-number nine in the number of students we send to study abroad
- International students-sixth in the nation for the total number of international students enrolled
- Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences-the oldest Library and Information Sciences school in the nation is frequently ranked the best in the nation
- Engineering programs- both the undergraduate and graduate programs in the College of Engineering are ranked 4th in the nation
- Agricultural programs-ranked among the top five institutions in the nation for its impact on agricultural sciences in Science Watch Magazine
- Prestigious awards-one of seven universities to receive prestigious awards from the MacArthur Foundation to develop the next generation of scholars focusing on international security policy
Located in east central Illinois in the twin cities of Urbana and Champaign (combined population 180,000), the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is the state’s flagship public university.
Add Your Unit's Supporting Statements
Communicators may add factual statements specific to their units that support these brand attributes by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.